Life at the Connection Rio House


I imagine this is what retirement is like- morning yoga, reading, cooking your daily meals, training, and whatever else you feel like doing that day. It's been quiet and comfortable, and I think that's why I haven't been blogging lately, that and the fact that Ramanan is playing Batman instead of carrying his weight in this blogging relationship. Sometimes I wonder how I'm ever going to go back to my productive and cold existence in Canada.



Drilling and rolling at the house is a weekly phenomenon. I don't participate because I don't really feel like I know enough but I think watching others helps me to learn. Especially when there are several people rolling, you observe different styles, techniques and simply the way someone moves. Even when I don't really understand everything that is happening, which is quite often, watching someone else roll helps to get a sense of how you should move.



Other than the occasional Sunday barbecue, there does seem to be a theme of combat to the social happenings in the house. UFC events always draw a crowd, and there was a lot of anticipation and excitement for Metamoris. The small projector we brought with us has come in quite useful, and we used it to project Metamoris on the common room wall. After all the debates about the best martial art movie montages (Rocky being my favourite), we watched a few-The Best of the Best and Street Fighter, to re-experience their awesomeness. Now that there are fewer people in the house and it's a lot quieter, it is all about Game of Thrones every Monday nights!





During Carnival, the Connection Rio house was overflowing with people, and many of them stayed on average for about two weeks. Now that high season is over, most of the guys in the house are here for as long as we are, and occasionally we get someone new who will stay in the house for about a month. The experience of living in this house is unique. You are surrounded by people from all over the world-Sweden, Jordan, England, New Zealand, Ireland, Poland, Paraguay... and although everyone speaks English, most speak another language as well. You make friends and get comfortable with a certain circle of people, and everything changes as someone leaves another person arrives. The dynamic of the relationships change, new friendships commence and everything adjusts. In some ways it's difficult living here for a long time, you make friends, know that they will leave, and that it is very unlikely that you will see them again. On the flip-side though, you now have friends from all over the world. For me, it's one of the most interesting aspects of travelling this year. I've met so many unique and adventurous individuals, had a blast with them and hope that one day in our travels we will meet again.  



No comments:

Post a Comment