Middle Earth


When we were in the Galapagos we were told about Mitad Del Mundo.  It's a small town just outside of Quito with a monument marking the Ecuator.  We were told that you can see all these cool little experiments showing the affects of the north and south poles (water draining, your balance, etc.).  This got me all excited and Mitad Del Mundo became a must-see for me.  So one day we got up early, to avoid the rain, and made our way there on the local bus.  As we are going there, Mareen took the time to tell me, "You know it's all bullshit, right?  I googled it and all the experiments are just power of suggestion."  This was dissapointment number one for that day and probably Mareen's millionth time crushing my excitment.



The actual place was not what I expected. It's a park with the monument as the focus.  There are a few building with some science history, a lot of buildings selling souvenirs, and restaurants. I didn't see any of the cool experiments I was told about and it started raining after about an hour.  Well at least now I can say I have been to the "End of the World" and the "Middle of the World".





No comments:

Post a Comment